Monday, August 6, 2012

Can you just be "whelmed"?

I think you can in Europe.

The funny thing about learning a new language is that you don't realize how bad at listening you are until you really have to think about what you're hearing. We started Vida Verde language school today in Quito, Ecuador, and I have approximately eight weeks to cram as much Spanish into my brain as possible before we go to Santiago, Chile. Then I'll have to start all over again.

I have the distinct pleasure of living about two blocks away from our school, so after a short walk this morning, I arrived bright-eyed and excited to put my Spanish to the test. That was at 8:15 a.m. By noon my brain had turned the consistency of cottage cheese, and we still had an hour and half of class left. I walked out of that school a shadow of my former self.



However, it's hard to be despondent in the midst of the Andes Mountains. Surrounded by towering peaks, Quito has an elevation of 9,350 feet. And if the views don't leave you breathless, the altitude will. It's still all very unreal and overwhelming to be here, but as far as "whelming" goes, I'll take "over" every time.

3 comments:

  1. I love the "10 Things I Hate About You" reference. You know how I feel about that movie. Keep up the posting! I love it more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you flip your hair, I just get whelmed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought
    I might check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page repeatedly.
    Also see my web site - linux

    ReplyDelete