Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Jokes about being cold

So I'm in Santiago, Chile. (Yes... it's actually been pretty chilly... I get it.)

I know. I know. I said I'd fill you in on the rest of Ecuador before I left, but there were just so many things to cram into that last week. Blogging just didn't make the list. The day after we got back from the jungle, we hopped in the van with Hugo and headed to Otovalo, a city that hosts a GIANT market every weekend. The market was full of homemade goods that were 1.) beautiful and 2.) ridiculously cheap.


I didn't end up buying all that much, because by that point in my Ecuadorian adventure, I was pretty low on funds. (I hadn't received my replacement debit card from when mine had been stolen. Did I tell that story?) However, after the market, we went to visit a nearby waterfall. You (like I was) may be thinking, "Really, ANOTHER waterfall. I think we've seen enough." Listen, if there's one thing I've learned about South America, it's that there will always be more waterfalls.

Aren't we just ADORABLE!?
The rest of our time in Quito was spent visiting our favorite places one more time. The two months there flew by so fast, and I have a feeling I'll be saying that after my 15 months here in Santiago as well.

So, yeah, I'm in Santiago. I have been for about a week and a half. Quito and Santiago are like night and day. Where Quito was huge and sprawling and historic, Santiago is huge and sprawling and modern. Where I was starting to understand some Spanish in Quito, I can't understand anything in Santiago. Where we were told to avoid public transportation if we could in Quito, here it's starting to become a way of life already. I can already tell I'm going to like Santiago. I loved Quito, too, but this will be different. This is my first real city that I've lived in. It's been a whirlwind, but there's too much to tell in this post. I'll have to save it for another time. For now I'll tell you I've moved in with my host family. I can get to all the places I need to get to via the bus or subway system. I'm working (well, working is a strong word... read: present) in my school every day. And I'm trying desperately to understand anything anyone says to me in Chilean Spanish. So far, it's not going well. ¿Cachái po?

This is where I live! What?

No comments:

Post a Comment