Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Knight Bus

I almost feel silly writing the post I'm about to write. Here I am, paying homage to some of the greatest cities in South America, and I'm about to place a 19-hour bus ride on the same level. But before you get all up in arms over that, let me explain. When we started planning our travels throughout South America, I was under the impression we'd be taking a number of 19-(or more) hour bus rides. But I was wrong. Most of the flights we found made it affordable for us to jet-set around the Southern Cone, except for our trip from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls. So, I knew early on that this 19-hour night bus was in my future.

All Harry Potter references aside, the night bus doesn't seem like the most ideal form of transportation, so when EGTG (the Extreme Gringo Travel Gang as we came to call ourselves, which I later would refer to as the Extremely Gringo Travel Gang) sat down to book our bus tickets, we were give two options "semi-cama" (half bed) or "super-cama" (super bed). We obviously chose "super-cama," which ran us about thirty dollars extra. Little did we know what was in store for us. Listen folks, if you're ever traveling across South America by bus and you have the option of "super-cama," take it! Take it every time.

I'll try to find more pictures! Bus... this is a start.


Not only was this bus ride the best bus ride of my entire life, but also it was, perhaps, the nicest mode of transportation I've ever taken. We had seats that fully reclined so we were able to lay completely horizontally, our own, individual pillows, blankets, televisions, headphones, and privacy curtains, and were served both a hot dinner and breakfast the following morning. Although it wasn't a five-star meal, I was able to enjoy my chicken cordon bleu and appetizer and dessert and soda as I reclined and watched all of "Armageddon" dubbed in Spanish. And, yes, it's a good movie in any language.

I was also able to help Sophie celebrate her 25th birthday as the clock struck midnight, and we rattled through northern Argentina. Our bus even made it to Iguazu Falls in under 18 hours, out of which the majority of us probably slept at least 14.

All in all the night bus was a raging success, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment